Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gimme Some Oysters



Saturday night we were fortunate enough to be invited to an oyster roast. These oysters came fresh from the Carolina coast and boy were they delicious!

This is how I build mine:

Cracker

Oyster

Squeeze of Lemon

Drop of Louisiana Hot Sauce

Just Enough Fresh Ground Horseradish not to make me cry

I don't even know how many I wound up eating. We get steamed oysters so rarely, they are treat when we do get them. Of course you can go to a hand full of local restaurants and eat them, but they aren't the same as cooking them yourself fresh out of the ocean.

Did I mention I love me some steamed oysters?

2 comments:

Amy J in SC said...

Oh man, I shouldn't have looked. These make my mouth water. And the next oyster roast I'll be attending isn't until after Christmas. Maybe I'll have to have my own. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Tony Yates said...

A gal after my own heart. I love fresh Bulls Bay oysters from Awendah, SC about 30 mi N of Charleston, best kept secret in the area. Several years ago I was traveling S on 17 and my friend had to potty, so I spotted what looked like an old time filling station so I pulled around the side where the restrooms were located. As I sat there I began to smell some wonderful cooking odors coming from this old store. After further in investigation I found it to be a remodeled country store turned into a restaurant. Church was letting out and the parking lot was starting to fill. We went in and had had the most wonderful low country meal I've ever had! Fresh She-Crab soup(yum),so many fresh veggies I can't begin to name them all and then A pile of steamed Bull's Bay Oysters piled high on a Coca~Cola crate. We ate til we could not move. Even took our friends in Charleston some She- Crab soup to go. The name escapes me, but the secret has to be out by now. If you're in that neck of the woods you owe yourself a stop at this little jewel in Awendah, SC just south of Cape Romain Natl Seashore below McClellanville, SC
Tony Yates
Winston-Salem, NC